You probably recognize CBD as one of the cannabinoids derived from the cannabis plant. But did you know that there are over 100 different cannabinoids present in cannabis? Many cannabinoids have yet to be fully researched, but one is gaining recognition — CBN.
CBN is a slightly psychoactive cannabinoid that results from the breakdown of THC. While there is still very little known about the true benefits of CBN, there is hope that it may help to improve sleep.
For those looking to sleep soundly and reap the wellness benefits of cannabinoids, a dose of CBN paired with some yoga for sleep and relaxation may be your new bedtime go-to. In this guide, we’ll walk you through CBN dosage for sleep and how it may promote a healthy, restful night.
What is CBN?
Cannabinol (CBN) is a phytocannabinoid that can be isolated from THC when it comes in contact with:
The result is a substance that retains little of the psychoactive potency of THC.
Generally, CBN doesn’t produce the high you associate with THC because the breakdown process limits psychoactivity.
What is the difference between CBN vs CBD?
CBN and CBD are both cannabinoids derived from the cannabis plant. They are similar in that they both interact with CB1 receptors in your endocannabinoid system to help your body maintain homeostasis.
However, CBN and CBD differ in several key ways:
- Availability in the cannabis plant – CBD occurs naturally in the cannabis plant. This means manufacturers can grow plants with a higher concentration of CBD. Since CBN results from the breakdown of THC, the amount of CBN that can be derived from a plant is reliant on the amount of THC present in the plant.
- Amount of human research – There has been significantly more research performed on CBD and its effects on humans than on CBN. This doesn’t mean that CBN is bad or unsafe, just that the research into its potential is more limited than that on CBD.
- Potential usages – CBD may help with a host of things, such as helping you feel calm and relaxed, easing joint stiffness from exercise and promoting healthy, restful sleep. CBN’s benefits are still not completely understood, although some hope it may also help with healthy sleep.
- Price – CBD is widely available andcan be made in abundance. On the other hand, CBN is more difficult to produce, since it relies on the conversion of THC. The conversion process requires both time and effort. This means products containing CBN can be pricier and harder to find than those with CBD.
How Might CBN Help With Sleep?
While there hasn’t been much research on CBN, one possible benefit is that it may help encourage healthy, restful sleep. A summary of CBN’s potential in Advances in Pharmacology claims that CBN may assist in falling and staying asleep. However, more studies are needed to determine the extent of CBN’s power.
So, does CBN make you sleepy? We don’t know for sure, but researchers seem to find exploring this angle of natural sleep remedies worthwhile. Furthermore, there is anecdotal evidence that CBN might support sleep. This could be exciting news for people who struggle to get the rest they need each night.
How Much CBN Do You Need For Sleep?
Because the research is limited, there isn’t one “right” dosage of CBN for sleep. That being said, you should begin any new product containing CBD or CBN with a low dosage.
Then, give your body time to adapt before upping the dosage. Several factors can influence how much CBN you need to achieve the desired drowsy effect. These include:
- Body composition
- Eating habits
- Health conditions
Keeping these factors in mind, there are a few general guidelines to follow when determining the right CBD dosage for you, which may also be appropriate for CBN, including:
- Be mindful of the packaging and instructions – The amount of CBN or CBD in a product is typically expressed in mg. If you’re dealing with a gummy, for example, and that gummy contains 5mg -25mg, that’s what you’ll consume when you eat the gummy. For CBN oil, you’ll have to check the package to see how much CBN oil you should take and how much CBN is in each “serving.”
- Start small – If you’re new to using either CBD or CBN, one of our tips for better sleep is that you should start with a small dose and give your body time to adjust. You may feel the desired effects with a small amount. If not, you can up the dosage gradually until you reach the appropriate level for your needs.
- Consult your healthcare professional for advice – Your doctor can help you determine how much CBN or CBD is right for you. Every person is different and thus has a unique dosage to help them with their needs.
Where Can You Find CBN?
CBN can be a little more difficult to find, but there are products on the market. Some of the more common types of CBN products include:
- CBN Oil
- CBN Capsule
- CBN Tincture
- CBN Tea
- CBN Gummies
You can also find CBN in vape cartridges. However, it’s recommended that you avoid vaping CBN or CBD products due to the potential for damage to your lungs.
Should You Pair CBN With CBD?
CBN might be most effective when you pair it with some of its cannabinoid partners — such as CBD. Since both CBN and CBD can be used to promote more restful sleep, pairing the two in one product may provide added benefits.
For example, you can try CBN gummies to enhance healthy rest. Adding these tasty gummies to your nighttime routine may help you get more restorative sleep at night so that you wake up rested and recharged for the day ahead.
What Should You Look For When You Shop For CBN Products?
It’s still more difficult to find CBN products than it is to locate CBD. However, there are a few key terms you should look for if you want to add the power of CBN to your nightly routine. These include:
- CBN isolate – CBN isolate is a pure form of CBN. It onlyincludes the CBN compounds,; none of the others naturally found in the cannabis plant are present. This means the process required to isolate the CBN is both timely and costly. CBN isolate is difficult to find, and you’ll pay a pretty hefty price when you do.
- Broad-spectrum CBD products – If you want a CBD product that contains trace amounts of CBN, then a broad-spectrum product could be right for you. Broad-spectrum CBD products contain all of the naturally occurring compounds present in cannabis along with trace amounts of THC. However, most of the THC is removed, meaning you aren’t likely to have much CBN in the product.
- Full-spectrum CBD products – Full-spectrum CBD products contain allof the naturally occurring compounds found in cannabis, including no more than 0.3 percent THC. You’ll get more CBN in a full-spectrum product than you would in a broad-spectrum option.
The right product option for your needs depends on how you plan to use your CBD or CBN and your budget. Products containing either full or broad-spectrum CBD will have some CBN but won’t be as potent as CBN isolate.
Whichever variety you decide is right for you, one thing you alwayswant to do is purchase your CBD and CBN products from a trusted supplier. There are three key things you should look for when shopping, including:
- A certificate of authenticity (COA) – A COA is your assurance that the product you purchase has been third-party tested by an independent lab. You can usually find the COA by scanning a QR code on the label or the manufacturer’s website.
- Accurate labeling – Read the label of your product carefully. The ingredients and amount of CBD and CBN listed on the label should match the COA.
- Company reputation – Look through reviews of the company you purchase CBD and CBN from. You should be able to determine if they have a good reputation or if customers are often disappointed after buying their product.
Sleep Well With Zebra CBD and CBN
Healthy sleep is critical for your body’s normal functions to work at an optimal level. However, sometimes we all have trouble settling in for restful and restorative sleep at night. Adding a CBN product to your bedtime routine may help support the healthy sleep your body needs to function properly.
If you’re new to CBN or CBD, you need a trusted partner with the best CBD products for sleep — Zebra CBD. We’re America’s leader in CBD science and research, so you rest assured that you’re getting premium CBD products from a trusted source. We’re also the only CBD company with a Label Accuracy Guarantee™, meaning your purchase contains exactly what the packaging claims. Check out our extensive online store today.
Advances in Pharmacology. Cannabis Pharmacology: The Usual Suspects and a Few Promising Leads. http://cannabiscoalition.ca/info/Russo-Marcu_Cannabis_Pharmacology_The_Usual_Suspects_and_a_Few_Promising_Leads_Adv_Pharmacol_2017.pdf