Have you ever found yourself sitting at your desk, watching the clock and wondering how you were going to stay awake for three more hours? As the second hand ticks on, you have trouble focusing on the tasks you need to complete — whether it’s that end-of-week progress report or just cleaning up around the house.
Fighting off mid-afternoon fatigue can be exhausting. However, afternoon tiredness is quite common, and there are several potential causes — poor sleep, dehydration and stress.
This guide will answer your question of “Why do I get so tired in the afternoon?” by examining the potential reasons for your afternoon crash and outlining some everyday health and wellness solutions to help you avoid 2 p.m. drowsiness.
What Causes Afternoon Exhaustion?
Afternoon exhaustion and tiredness is no joke, and it can wreak havoc on your productivity and energy levels. There are several possible reasons you may find yourself drifting off at your keyboard in the afternoon:
- Poor nutrition – Your diet plays a key role in how you feel. If you’re eating foods that are packed with sugars and unhealthy fats, your energy levels are going to reflect that. In contrast, good eating habits that incorporate nutrient-dense foods will prevent you from having that afternoon sugar crash.
- Dehydration – Perhaps you’re eating well but slacking on hydration. This too, can cause your energy levels to plummet once the afternoon rolls around.
- Insufficient sleep at night – Do you lie awake at night as the hours tick by? Or is your schedule too packed to fit in enough hours of adequate sleep? Poor or insufficient sleep at night can lead to feeling less than your best the next day.
- Stress – Stress can take a toll on your mental and physical well-being, too. It can interrupt your normal sleep cycle and leave you feeling drained during the day.
- Medical issues – Some medical issues can also leave you feeling more tired than normal. If you’ve been eating well, hydrating and getting enough adequate sleep at night, but you still feel wiped out, you may want to visit your doctor to rule out a medical issue.
How Can You Prevent the Post-Lunch Slump?
Are you tired of feeling tired? If you’ve ruled out a medical problem as the cause of your afternoon sleepiness, then the good news is that there are many different ways to combat drowsiness.
#1 Move More
You’re probably wondering how exercise can help boost your energy levels. Doesn’t it use upenergy to work out? Yes, it does take energy to move, butmoving gets your blood flowing.
Increased blood flow gets more oxygen and nutrients to your muscles. In turn, your muscles can utilize the nutrients from your food to produce more energy.
Even if you have a busy schedule, you can fit in time for exercise. The American Council on Exercise notes that as little as 10 to 15 minutes of movement can help boost your energy levels. You can try:
- Taking a brisk 10-minute walk after lunch
- Doing a few sets of bodyweight exercises at your desk
- Using your lunch hour to go to a nearby gym
- Blocking out time in the morning for a workout
Feel free to get creative. The more you can get yourself to move throughout the day, the better you’re likely to feel. Learn more about how you can work out and stay fit with CBD.
#2 Get More Restful Sleep
Maybe you get plenty of exercise, but you struggle mightily to get enough quality sleep. Finding ways to relax your mind is important because poor sleep can lead to a host of health problems andleave you feeling wiped out during the day.
To boost your sleeping power, the CDC recommends:
- Setting and sticking to a sleep schedule
- Avoiding screens for at least an hour before bed
- Keeping your sleeping space cool, dark and comfortable
- Limiting caffeine after 2 p.m.
#3 Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate!
Do you have your morning cup (or three) of coffee and then forget to drink anything else until late in the day? Skimping on fluids at any time of the day can negatively impact your energy levels — hence why you feel tired and irritable in the afternoon.
Research in The Journal of Nutrition shows that even mild hydration can poorly impact your mood and cognitive function. So fill up that water bottle and make sure you’re getting in your recommended amount of fluids throughout the day.
#4 Improve Your Nutrition
The standard American diet is filled with foods that can sap your energy levels. Processed foods that are high in sugar and saturated fats will make you feel full for a little while, but you’ll pay for it when your energy crashes after lunch.
Instead of reaching for quick, nutritionally void options, you can switch up your diet to include healthier choices that’ll also put a little pep in your step. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers the following tips to elevate your energy levels:
- Don’t skip meals – Skipping meals will only make you tired, cranky and ravenously hungry. When you eat regularly, you keep your energy levels up and avoid the crash that follows when you skip breakfast or lunch.
- Snacks are your friend – Snacks can help keep your energy up between meals. Healthy, nutrient-packed snacks such as fresh fruit or nuts will prevent you from overeating at your next meal.
- Listen to your body – Sometimes, you just have to listen to your body. If you feel hungry, you might need to eat a small snack, even if it’s not a normal meal or snack time. This can help prevent overeating later in the day.
- Follow a balanced diet – Ensuring that you’re getting the right balance of carbohydrates, protein and fats in your diet will help keep your energy levels high.
#5 Give Yourself a Boost
A cup or two of coffee or caffeinated tea in the morning is fine. However, too much caffeine later in the day will lead to sleepless nights or an afternoon crash. Instead of downing another cup of coffee after lunch, try powering up with Zebra’s CBD Energy Shots.
These convenient 2 oz. bottles are easy to carry for when you need that extra boost. As a bonus, they’re sugar-free and have less caffeine than a cup of coffee, so you won’t crash or be kept up all night.
Avoid the Dreaded Afternoon Slump With Help From Zebra CBD
The afternoon energy crash can be detrimental to your productivity, and it can often be a sign that you’re missing out on other important aspects of wellness. Luckily, you can glide by that afternoon slump with some tweaks to your workout, nutrition, hydration and sleep routines.
If you want extra support for your overall health and wellness, Zebra CBD is your go-to source for premium CBD products. We’re your trusted CBD experts, and our products come with a Label Accuracy Guarantee to ensure that you’re giving your body the best. Crush the crash with Zebra CBD.
Sleep.org. Reasons Why You Get So Tired In the Afternoon. https://www.sleep.org/sleep-questions/reasons-for-afternoon-slump/
American Council on Exercise. Increase Energy Levels and Cure Fatigue Through Exercise. https://www.acefitness.org/education-and-resources/lifestyle/blog/6589/increase-energy-levels-and-cure-fatigue-through-exercise/
CDC. Tips for Better Sleep. https://www.cdc.gov/sleep/about_sleep/sleep_hygiene.html
The Journal of Nutrition. Mild Dehydration Affects Mood in Healthy Young Women. https://academic.oup.com/jn/article/142/2/382/4743487
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Eating to Boost Energy. https://www.eatright.org/food/nutrition/healthy-eating/eating-to-boost-energy