By now, you may have heard about some of the health benefits associated with using CBD products. Since the production and legalization of CBD use in 2018, it’s become popular for many people looking to support elevated moods, physical comfort and overall wellness.
And since CBD doesn't contain THC - the active agent in marijuana that causes a euphoric high - you're probably safe taking it whenever you want. That means popping one of your favorite CBD capsules, gummies or tinctures before work should be fine, right? Maybe!
Taking CBD for mood enhancement can help, but you'll have to use your own discretion about whether or not CBD products like topicals and edibles are appropriate for your workplace. Even products that claim to be the best CBD oil have different effects across individual people and body types. That being said, if you've been reading up on CBD and you're wondering, can I take CBD before work, here's everything you need to know.
What is CBD?
Cannabidiol, also commonly known as CBD, is a chemical compound that occurs naturally in a type of marijuana plant known as hemp. For centuries, human beings have been growing and using hemp to make clothes, rope, food and other products. Today, the chemical is extracted from the plant and used in a variety of CBD products, such as:
- Skin creams
It’s important to understand that CBD is not “weed,” the drug that most people think of when they hear the word marijuana. But how exactly is weed different from pure CBD?
It all has to do with another chemical, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol or THC. This is the chemical that gives cannabis its intoxicating effects.
Although THC can be found in hemp varieties of marijuana, any hemp that’s used to produce a CBD product is required by law to contain less than 0.3% THC — meaning it isn’t likely to get you “high.”
So you can feel comfortable dosing CBD Oil during the day is going to give you a psychoactive effect, as long as the product contains 0.3% THC, like all Zebra CBD products.
Is it Legal to Take CBD Before Work?
The 2018 Farm Bill legalized the production and sale of hemp and its extracts. It isn't marijuana, so even if you don't live in a state where medical and recreational marijuana use is legal, you may still be able to use CBD.
Some states still have legal restrictions on the possession of CBD. Check with your state and local laws before purchasing.
That said, using CBD can still pose certain issues, depending on the specific products you use and where you work. Primarily, this is because many CBD products can still contain THC. The amount of THC that CBD products can legally contain is regulated by federal and state laws, but it can still make using CBD products before work tricky.
That said, there are two primary factors you should consider when planning your pre-work routine:
- Intoxication and impairment – Not all CBD products contain the same level of THC, and it’s not uncommon for a given brand to contain a higher dose than what it says on the package. That means you may risk intoxication or impairment from your CBD dosage if you’re sourcing your CBD from an unreliable source. As such, ensure that your CBD products are tested by a third-party laboratory to ensure you’re getting exactly what’s on the label.
- Drug screens – While it’s unlikely, some full-spectrum CBD products may contain enough THC that it may show up on a drug screen. If your employer has random drug testing policies or your line of work involves regular testing, you may want to think twice before using full-spectrum CBD products before work. Instead, you can opt for broad-spectrum CBD or CBD isolate, which contains no THC.
The Benefits of Taking CBD Before Work
Scientists still have a lot to learn about CBD. That’s why definitively answering the question — can I take CBD before work? — is so difficult. To be safe, you should discuss your CBD use with your employer.
Be open and honest about the products you use. Whether you take CBD edibles or use pure CBD oil during the day, explain why you use these products and how they help you. For example, if you're taking CBD gummies for energy, say so. Being proactive is the best way to avoid professional risks down the road.
That said, CBD may promote a range of positive benefits that can be advantageous to you at work. For example, CBD may help to:
- Support your mood before a busy day
- Reduce physical discomfort from sitting at a desk for long periods of time
- Ease nervousness before a big presentation
- Improve focus during day-to-day tasks
There are also studies that suggest that using CBD, such as CBD capsules or cbd edibles, may help ease apprehension in social situations and reduce feelings of confusion or panic and calm your nerves during water cooler chit-chat.
If taking CBD before work feels like too much of a risk for your wellness routine, you can also opt to use CBD the night before work. That’s because CBD may help support your sleep for a more restful and productive tomorrow.
The Risks of Using CBD Before Work
Aside from the small chance that your CBD use may pop up on a drug test, you might be wondering if there are other reasons using CBD before work could be risky. Here’s what you should consider before adding a CBD oil to your morning coffee:
- Other medications – According to the FDA, CBD has the potential to interact with other medications you may already be taking. As such, you may want to talk to a medical professional before incorporating CBD into your diet.
- Unintended side effects – In some cases, CBD can cause drowsiness, irritability and agitation. These side effects can affect how well you’re able to perform at work. If you do experience sleepiness on the job, consider taking CBD after work or before bed instead.
- Gastrointestinal issues – Diarrhea and stomach discomfort have been associated with CBD. Understandably, stomach troubles can pose a major obstacle when it comes to doing your job.
What Else Should I Know About CBD?
As of 2022, the federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has only approved one kind of CBD medication for use, called Epidiolex.
That being said, CBD supplements are not regulated by the FDA. However, it’s generally agreed that CBD can have a positive effect on your routine and has the potential to support your overall health and wellness.
Is CBD Safe?
Since CBD products are marketed as supplements and aren’t regulated by the FDA, manufacturers can’t make definitive claims about the benefits CBD products may have on you and your health.
That said, CBD is believed to be relatively safe, especially for adults. However, how well you do with CBD absorption can come down to the way you choose to ingest it. Generally, the safest forms for ingesting CBD are:
- CBD edibles, like gummies or chewable tablets
It's also important to consider the brand of CBD product you use, regardless of whether you're taking a CBD gummy or using a CBD tincture. Although there are strict requirements regarding the claims CBD companies can make in their marketing and what information must appear on labels, it isn't always clear what you're getting when you buy certain CBD capsules, cbd gummies or cbd topicals.
When you're shopping for CBD oil products, be sure to go with a brand like Zebra CBD that uses natural ingredients and third-party testing. This is the best way to avoid getting a bad batch of CBD that:
- Include contaminants, like pesticides and heavy metals
- Has more THC than it claims
- Has less CBD than it claims
Zebra CBD: Your Trusted CBD Expert
When you take CBD before work, it may help to support elevated moods, ease workday aches, improve focus and curtail nervousness throughout the day.
If you’re looking for a reliable CBD source to support your workday, Zebra CBD has you covered — whether you’re looking for CBD oil to improve your disposition or Sleep Support CBD + CBN Gummies to rest easily and tackle the challenges of tomorrow.
At Zebra CBD, we believe that everyone deserves access to safe and effective CBD products. That's why all of our oils, edibles and topicals are made with natural, plant-based materials. And they're specially formulated and tested multiple times to ensure label accuracy and potency.
That means that when you choose Zebra CBD, you choose safety, reliability and transparency. Ready to see how CBD can work for you? Let Zebra CBD show you how.
FDA.gov. What You Need to Know (And What We’re Working to Find Out)About Products that Contain Cannabis. https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/what-you-need-know-and-what-were-working-find-out-about-products-containing-cannabis-or-cannabis
Medical News Today. Different CBD Types. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/types-of-cbd#product-list
USA Today. CBD Might Be Legal But It’s Risky at the Office. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/types-of-cbd#product-list
New York Times. What Are the Benefits of CBD? https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/16/style/self-care/cbd-oil-benefits.html
Harvard Health. CBD Products Are Everywhere. But Do They Work? https://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/cbd-products-are-everywhere-but-do-they-work