Home to the Green Bay Packers NFL team and snowmobile derbies, Wisconsin borders two Great Lakes and offers countless recreation opportunities for residents and visitors year-round.
But, is CBD legal in Wisconsin? Per the 2017 Wisconsin Act 100 (which has been updated to reflect the changes introduced by the 2018 US Farm Bill), Wisconsinites may cultivate, harvest, sell and consume CBD products derived from industrial hemp that has 0.3% or less THC.
If you’re wondering where to buy CBD oil in Wisconsin, you can always consult reputable online retailers.
Wisconsin CBD laws have changed recently, and this article will break down everything you need to know about cannabis laws in the state.
CBD Laws in Wisconsin: What You Need to Know
Before we break down Wisconsin CBD oil laws, let’s define two important key terms:
- Industrial hemp is a product derived from the Cannabis sativa plant. Hemp contains mostly CBD, but it can only contain 0.3% or less of THC, the psychoactive component of cannabis.
- Marijuana is also a Cannabis sativa-derived product, but it features a THC content over 0.3%.
There are a few important things to note about cannabis laws in Wisconsin:
- Wisconsin remains one of the few states with no medical or recreational provisions for legal marijuana cultivation, harvesting, sale, possession or consumption.
- The only Wisconsinites legally allowed to grow, possess and ingest marijuana must receive a prescription from a doctor to treat a state-qualifying condition (like a seizure disorder). However, the law requires that the marijuana prescribed must be “in a form without a psychoactive effect.” Commonly called a “low THC law,” Wisconsin's regulation doesn’t specify the legal limit for THC concentration.
- In 2017, Wisconsin passed a bill (updated by the US Farm Bill in 2018) that created a pilot program for industrial hemp. Products derived from industrial hemp are legal to cultivate, harvest, sell, purchase, possess and ingest in Wisconsin.
All that said, a few important laws inform the regulation of CBD in Wisconsin:
- US Agricultural Act of 2014 – The “2014 Farm Bill” was a federal law that gave states the legal authority to operate industrial hemp pilot programs. While CBD remained a Schedule I controlled substance in the US despite the passage of the bill, this regulation paved the way for the forthcoming 2018 Farm Bill that changed the game for CBD legality throughout the US.
- 2017 Wisconsin Act 100 – In 2017, Wisconsin began its industrial hemp pilot program under the US Agricultural Act of 2014. The state allowed cultivation of industrial hemp for research purposes, but a loophole allowed the sale of CBD in Wisconsin.
- 2017 Wisconsin Act 4 – The same year that the state passed its Farm Bill, it also enacted its “low THC law.” The law remains the closest regulation that Wisconsinites have to medical marijuana legalization. But, the products prescribed must not be psychoactive.
- 2018 Farm Bill – Per the 2018 Farm Bill administered by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA), it is now legal for Wisconsinites to cultivate, harvest, sell, purchase, possess and ingest industrial hemp products (including CBD). An important CBD oil Wisconsin law, the 2018 Farm Bill made CBD oil legal in Wisconsin for anyone of any age.
When the 2018 US Farm Bill passed, the US government removed CBD from the Schedule I substances list, making it legal to purchase and possess throughout the country. But, CBD products must be derived from industrial hemp and contain 0.3% of THC or less.
Is CBD Legal in Wisconsin?
Is CBD oil legal in Wisconsin? Yes.
After the US passed the Agricultural Act of 2018 (the US Farm Bill), Wisconsin amended the laws surrounding its original industrial hemp pilot program to reflect federal law.
So, if you’re living in or visiting Wisconsin, it is legal to:
- Grow, harvest, process, sell, purchase, possess and use industrial hemp products
- Purchase CBD derived from industrial hemp in person at a dispensary or online
- Sell CBD products as long as you have a state license to do so
Can I Buy CBD in Wisconsin?
Even if a product meets the concentration requirements, it’s technically still illegal if it didn’t come from an industrial hemp plant.
The Farm Bill also stipulates that CBD may not be infused into food or beverages, so CBD gummies Wisconsin are technically still illegal. Wisconsinites may only legally possess CBD products like:
- Smokable products
Can I Buy CBD Online?
If you’re wondering where to buy CBD oil in Wisconsin, you can always consult reputable online retailers. All you have to do is find a retailer you trust, find a product that you’re interested in, add it to your cart and await delivery right to your doorstep.
Most retailers require that purchasers are at least 18 or older, but this is difficult to enforce. Luckily, the Farm Bill stipulates that anyone of any age can purchase, possess and use CBD.
Remember to choose a retailer that labels its products responsibly. Zebra CBD provides a Label Accuracy Guarantee to show buyers that products have been tested by a third party, they’re safe and they’re pesticide- and heavy-metal-free.
Can I Buy CBD at a Dispensary?
Wisconsin cannabidiol law allows the sale of CBD products at dispensaries, but they’re few and far between.
So, Wisconsinites in search of CBD will likely have the best luck shopping online.
Legal Status of CBD in Wisconsin
Legal CBD Wisconsin is a relatively new concept, but anyone of any age may purchase CBD products from dispensaries or online in the state or even grow and harvest their own CBD products within the state.
But, keep in mind that regulations could change at any time. Make sure to stay updated on CBD laws in Wisconsin and around the country, especially if you plan on traveling across state lines.
The information contained above is provided for educational and informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice. The provided information may not reflect current legal developments or information, and is not guaranteed to be correct, complete or current. We recommend checking our source(s) to see if the information or legal status have been revised since our content was published.
1. Is CBD legal in Wisconsin?
Yes. As long as products are cultivated, harvested, processed and sold by someone with a license, CBD is legal in Wisconsin.
2. How old do you have to be to buy CBD in Wisconsin?
Per the US Farm Bill, anyone of any age can buy CBD nationwide — Wisconsin included.
3. Can I sell CBD products in Wisconsin?
Yes — but, you’ll need to apply for a license from the USDA. The state stopped issuing its own licenses in 2022.
NORML. Wisconsin Laws and Penalties. https://norml.org/laws/wisconsin-penalties-2/
NORML. Medical Marijuana Laws. https://norml.org/laws/medical-laws/
NORML. Wisconsin Low THC Law. https://norml.org/laws/wisconsin-cbd-marijuana-law/
US Department of Agriculture. Farm Bill. https://www.usda.gov/farmbill
Wisconsin State Legislature. 2017 Wisconsin Act 4. https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2017/related/acts/4
Wisconsin State Legislature. 2017 Wisconsin Act 100. https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2017/related/acts/100
Wisconsin State Legislative Council. 2018 Farm Bill Provisions Related to Hemp. https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/misc/lc/issue_briefs/2019/agriculture/ib_hemp_ao_mq_2019_10_01