By Adam Biederman
Did you know that your skin is the largest organ in your body? On average, skin accounts for 15% of body weight in adults. Which makes sense as it’s the body’s protective layer. And just like your protective layer protects you, you need to protect it to bolster your health and vitality.
Enter organic hemp oil & CBD, the hot new celebrity in skin care.
But what’s all the buzz about? How does CBD fit into skin health? What are the unique CBD oil uses and benefits? How do you find what’s right for you and your skin? Below, we’ll answer all your questions and provide some great insights on CBD skincare.
Tips For Healthy Skin
Before we get into CBD oil benefits for skin, let’s start with the five pillars of skin care. Given the nature of our largest organ (yes, we’re talking about skin), CBD alone isn’t going to retain your skin’s longevity and health. But CBD could be that “secret ingredient” you’ve been missing.
The Key Components of a Skincare Routine
According to an article in The New York Times, the best way to take of your skin health and learn how to destress is by doing the following:
- Cleansing – This one you probably already knew. How many times did your parents tell you to wash your face before bedtime? Or to wash your hands before dinner? Cleansing your skin is vital to a healthy skincare routine. Why? Because it helps rid your skin of bacteria and other impurities you may have accumulated during the day. Keep in mind, when you’re cleansing, you don’t want to completely strip away the healthy oils your skin produces naturally.
- Toning– A toner is a thin liquid that removes dirt missed by cleansers. Toners also add an extra layer of nutrients to freshly cleansed skin and help to balance natural oils, shrink pores and help your skin absorb moisturizers.
- Exfoliating – Our skin is constantly shedding dead skin cells. On average, our skin sheds 30,000 to 40,000 dead cells every minute.Exfoliation helps clear the dead skin cells away before they can clog pores. It also allows fresh new skin to surface.
- Moisturizing – You’ve probably heard this before, but human bodies are mostly liquid. Water powers multiple organ systems, from our vascular system to our dermatological systems. Using CBD cream allows your hydrated skin to tighten pores, minimize the effect of daily skin problems and help protect against dryness, discoloration and inflammation.
- Protecting – Whether you’re asking internet beauty influencers or your dermatologist, skincare aficionados agree—sunscreen is the most important skincare product you can have in your medicine cabinet. Even on cloudy days, the sun’s UV rays can increase free radicals in your skin, leading to signs of aging, dryness, inflammation and other more serious health concerns. Sunscreen prevents fine lines and wrinkles, improves the longevity of skin texture and maintains the appearance of pores over time.
Find a Routine That Works For You and Stick With It
Now you’ve got the pillars for a healthy skincare routine. But what’s the right process? And what comes first? As a general rule of thumb, starting with the basics is always recommended. According to skincare specialists and dermatologists surveyed by The New York Times, this is the best foundation routine to kickstart healthy skin habits.
Morning skincare routine:
- Wash your face with a cleanser
- Use a cotton pad to smooth toner over your face
- Massage a little moisturizer onto your face and body
- Apply sunscreen
Bedtime skincare routine:
- Wash off your face with a cleanser
- Tone again with a cotton pad and liquid toner
- Once a week, swap the toner for an exfoliant
- Moisturize and then head to bed
The reality is that everyone’s skin is different. Some people have a propensity to develop acne, while others have dryer skin. Some are lucky enough to go through life without so much as a blemish. When it comes to your routine, it needs to be specific to you. Try out this foundation routine and see what works and what doesn’t.
If you have sensitive skin, speak to your doctor or dermatologist about your unique skin needs to formulate the perfect routine.
How CBD Can Enhance Your Skincare Routine
CBD oil, or cannabidiol, is a non-psychoactive chemical compound extracted from hemp plants. CBD oil has many potential positive effects when it comes to skincare. But just like any new skincare product, it’s best to get to know CBD oil before incorporating it into your routine.
CBD Benefits For Skin, Your Skincare Goals
As mentioned above, everyone’s skin is different, which means everyone has different skincare needs. When it comes to incorporating CBD into your skincare ritual, different types of skin may benefit from different CBD products. Following are some common conditions for which people seek out skincare products:
- Dry skin
- Signs of aging
- Sensitive skin
If any of the above align with your skincare needs, CBD oil may be a beneficial addition to your skincare regimen.
CBD Oil For Blemish-Prone Skin
While strongly associated with puberty, blemish-prone skin doesn’t always go away when you reach your 20s (or even later). Blemishes occur when pores are clogged with oil, dead skin or bacteria.
How CBD Can Fit Into Your Skincare Routine: Try applying a light CBD serum or oil before bed. As a moisturizer, it may lessen skin redness without clogging pores. Do this as step #4 of the bedtime skincare routine.
CBD Oil For Dry Skin
People who suffer from dry skin can feel like their skin is being stretched across their body.
Having dry skin can make you feel itchy, uncomfortable and distract you from your day-to-day life.
How CBD Can Fit Into Your Skincare Routine: CBD oil skincare products that use natural botanical moisturizers — like avocado oil or jojoba oil — may soothe discomfort and replenish your skin to its healthy, natural state. To help your skin stay hydrated, apply CBD moisturizer after cleansing and toning both morning and night. If you’re looking to ease dryness on other parts of your body, apply CBD moisturizer to your skin after drying off from the shower.
CBD Oil For Fighting Wrinkles and Signs of Aging
Antioxidants are your skin’s best warriors against the signs of aging. Antioxidants counteract damage done by free radicals (from sun exposure), enhance skin’s brightness and reduce fine lines and redness. CBD oil is extremely high in antioxidants, along with fatty acids, minerals and vitamins.
How CBD Can Fit Into Your Skincare Routine: If you’re noticing more fine lines around your eyes and mouth, try using a CBD oil in the morning and before bed after cleansing and toning. CBD hemp oil’s natural antioxidants may benefit your skin’s vitality.
CBD For Sensitive Skin
If your skin is quick to irritate and tolerates only the mildest products, you may have sensitive skin. In this case, you need skincare products that are both gentle and effective so you can hydrate and nourish your skin without causing excessive irritation.
How CBD Can Fit Into Your Skincare Routine: A CBD moisturizer with soothing aloe vera might help reduce redness. Apply a small amount at night to help balance and hydrate your sensitive skin.
Tips For Choosing the Right CBD Skincare Product
The benefits of CBD for skincare can be numerous, but these only come from finding the right CBD skincare product for you. You need to make sure you’re getting the highest quality CBD, and pairing it with natural, soothing ingredients.
To find the right CBD skincare product:
- Read the label. Check a product’s label to ensure its CBD content. Look for the words “hemp extract,” “cannabidiol,” “broad-spectrum CBD,” “full-spectrum CBD” or “hemp CBD.”
- Check for third-party verification or a certificate of analysis. One of the ways to identify a high-quality CBD product is through a certificate of analysis, which proves the company used a third-party accredited laboratory to verify that the ingredient amounts in the product match its label.
- Look for a label accuracy guarantee. A label accuracy guarantee means a CBD product has undergone two levels of ingredient verification: A third-party accredited laboratory conducts a test of the ingredients and then anotherthird-party accredited laboratory double-checks those results.
Zebra CBD Oils and Enhancing Skin Care
When it comes to skin care it’s one part practice, two parts ingredients. With Zebra CBD products, the latter is guaranteed for you. By incorporating Zebra CBD products into your morning and evening routine, you’ll not only develop healthy skincare habits, but you’ll be giving your largest organ everything it needs to rejuvenate and flourish.
Zebra CBD skincare products come with our Label Accuracy GuaranteeTM, and are made from organic, American-grown hemp that’s free of pesticides, herbicides and heavy metals.
For the skin you love, there’s Zebra CBD.
Paula’s Choice. CBD Oil’s Benefits for Skin: Can it Help With Acne, Anti-Aging, & Other Issues?
Allure Magazine. Everything You Need to Know About CBD Oil In Beauty Products.
Forbes. Everything You Need to Know About CBD Skincare.
The New York Times. How to Build A Skincare Routine.