In 2019, Forbes confirmed that CBD is more popular than “Jesus, Kanye West, The NBA, Taylor Swift, The Beatles, and AOC” — at least when it comes to Google search trends. That’s a lot of curiosity for a product that is still stigmatized and plagued by misinformation, despite its many benefits.
Along with search results, CBD products have been skyrocketing in popularity, with many options readily available:
- topical balms and rubs
- skincare products
There are even green nuggets that look like the flowers of hemp and marijuana plants.
With CBD boasting a number of benefits from improving sleep to soothing physical discomfort, it’s no wonder there’s hype. If you’re curious about which CBD product you should choose, this overview will help steer you in the right direction.
What Is CBD Anyway?
CBD is short for cannabidiol, which is a cannabinoid. Cannabinoids are naturally occurring compounds found in hemp and marijuana. You might already be familiar with another cannabinoid: tetrahydrocannabinol, more commonly known as THC. While CBD and THC are the best known, there are actually dozens of cannabinoids found in hemp and marijuana plants.
THC is a psychoactive substance known for getting you “high.” Products with significant concentrations of THC might result in any or all of the following feelings:
- short-term memory loss
- stress, tension or paranoia
So what’s the difference between CBD and THC?
The distinction between a hemp plant and a marijuana plant is not like the difference between apples and oranges. Rather, it’s more like the difference between a Red Delicious and a McIntosh.
For one, CBD doesn’t get you high. While both substances are found in marijuana plants, they have markedly different effects. What’s more, it’s required by law that commercially available CBD is extracted from hemp plants rather than marijuana plants and CBD products sold must contain less than 0.3% THC.
Hemp vs. Marijuana
The distinction between a hemp plant and a marijuana plant is not like the difference between apples and oranges. Rather, it’s more like the difference between a Red Delicious and a McIntosh. They come from the same basic plant, but are bred to have different characteristics. While there’s some debate, most agree that there are three cannabis species:
- Cannabis sativa
- Cannabis indica
- Cannabis ruderalis
So which is hemp? The answer is all of them, depending on THC content. The 2018 Farm Bill defines hemp as any plant in the cannabis family that contains less than 0.3% THC.
Fun fact: While THC is readily found in some strains of Cannabis sativa and Cannabis indica, Cannabis ruderalis (industrial hemp) is naturally low in THC. If your mom bought hemp clothing in the 1990s, the fiber was likely harvested from a plant of that strain.
CBD is now sold in a number of commercially available forms. Advanced processing methods, including ethanol and CO2 extraction, make it possible to extract this beneficial cannabinoid and infuse it into products of all kinds. Which one is right for you depends on which CBD benefits you’d like to experience, and for how long. Take a look at the most prevalent cannabidiol products below.
Topical CBD Rubs, Balms and CBD Roll-Ons
We all experience occasional soreness, aches and irritations. Whether you’re training for a marathon or learning to do yoga, you’ve probably experienced post-exercise inflammation and the uncomfortable, burning muscle sensation that can persist for days afterward.
Aside from exercise, daily life is full of opportunities to acquire minor aches: You might be sore just from having slept in the wrong position; or even pull a muscle going for a just-out-of-your-reach remote. CBD provides a natural way to relieve some of these issues.
CBD balm is known for its ability to soothe the following issues:
- muscles strains and spasms
- stiff joints
Topicals can be applied directly to the sore spot to deliver maximum relief from discomfort. Here’s what you can expect from using topicals:
- takes effect in minutes to and hour hours
- lasts for up to 6 hours
- safe to reapply as often as needed
CBD Skincare Products
Topical CBD can do much more than soothe sore spots. Skin issues inevitably come up from time to time. If your skin is sensitive, you might notice frequent redness and irritation, thanks to environmental irritants or excessive sun exposure. Even if it’s not, you may be blemish-prone and struggle to find a product that keeps your skin clear.
Aside from seasonal and occasional skin issues, there’s a reason why beauty is a multibillion-dollar industry: We all want our skin to look evenly toned, youthful and hydrated. When we neglect our skin, dryness and irritation lead to visible signs of aging over time. With the use of high-quality CBD compounds and hemp-derived products, you can keep your skin youthful and glowing without the need for more aggressive treatments.
If you’re looking for brighter, healthier skin, consider adding a CBD moisturizing cream to your skincare routine. You can use CBD skincare products to:
- moisturize and nourish the skin
- even out skin tone
CBD is increasingly known as a skincare powerhouse, and products from toners to sheet masks to moisturizers are taking advantage of the buzz around this ingredient. However, be aware that hemp seed oil and CBD oil are different ingredients, and hemp seed oil on its own does not contain CBD oil nor have the same positive effects.
CBD Tablets and Mints For Mood and Healthy Sleep
CBD is known for a host of benefits for overall health and vitality. CBD, tablets and mints are a popular way to incorporate CBD into your daily life to experience its long-term effects over time. Use CBD tablets consistently to promote health in the following areas:
- Sleep support – Is it hard to turn off your mind after a long day at the office? Do spreadsheets and email drafts drop down into your thoughts like Tetris shapes? In today’s busy world, many people have trouble relaxing enough to get any shuteye. Even if you’re able to fall asleep, that doesn’t mean you can stay asleep. CBD is known for its ability to promote relaxation and, in turn, support healthy, restful sleep.
- Maintaining calm – Is there something preying on your mind? Maybe it’s tax season, or maybe it’s that phone call from your aunt that you haven’t quite made time to return. With all the demands of modern life, it can be hard to remember that you can only do one thing at a time, and that taking time to de-stress actually prepares you to face your to-do list once again. CBD is known for its relaxing effects. If you struggle with nervousness, CBD-infused tablets can help you more easily relax.
- Energy and focus – Have you ever noticed something wrong with your car — a little vibration at high speeds, or difficulty accelerating? When you take it to the shop, you may find that one small issue has put the whole vehicle off-balance. But the issues are compounded when you ignore the warnings! Our bodies and emotions are much the same. With regular maintenance, we keep all our systems functioning smoothly and run into fewer problems. If you’re looking for a way to wake up with more energy and focus, CBD tablets can help.
No matter what effect you’re looking for, it’s easy to find a CBD tablet that’s formulated with other natural ingredients to promote overall health. When you take a tablet, here’s what you can expect:
- dissolve and absorb easily under the tongue for a fast result.
- take effect within 15 to 60 minutes,
- effects last 4-6 hours.
While tablets are a great way to incorporate natural CBD into your routine consistently, specially formulated CBD mints can have a similar effect. You can take mints on an as-needed basis for on-the-go relief.
CBD has a host of great benefits when you incorporate it into your routine over time. However, at times you may be looking for immediate relief. Have you ever experienced the following?
- A few hours before a big presentation at work, you break out into a cold sweat, and your stomach is upset. You know you’ll feel even more nervous if you skip lunch, but you just feel too queasy to eat.
- The night before your flight, you toss and turn for hours. You don’t want to show up to the big event on the other end without getting a wink of sleep, but your flight’s at 6:00 a.m., and you can never sleep on planes.
- You had one too many tequilas last night, and now you’re expected to show up at a family brunch. You want to be present and positive, but you feel like crawling into a hole.
If you’re looking to experience CBD’s benefits quickly, CBD oil products are a great choice. When taken sublingually (under the tongue), CBD is absorbed through your mucous membranes rather than through your digestive system. Within minutes, you might be ready to eat lunch, fall asleep or make it to brunch, depending on what the situation demands. Features of CBD oil include:
- Take effect within 15 to 60 minutes
- Effects last 4-6 hours
Your Trusted CBD Expert
Did you know that 70% of CBD products don’t meet label claims? When you’re looking for the best CBD products, you want to make sure you purchase from a trusted company whose products are free from pesticides, herbicides and heavy metals. Zebra CBD is the leader in CBD science and research. When you shop our wide array of products, you can rest easy knowing you’ll experience the full benefits of premium-quality CBD.
The Brookings Institution. The Farm Bill, hemp legalization and the status of CBD: An explainer. https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2018/12/14/the-farm-bill-hemp-and-cbd-explainer
Hemp Gazette. The Big List Of Cannabis Cannabinoids. https://hempgazette.com/medical-cannabis/cannabinoids-list
Forbes. CBD Is More Popular Than Jesus, Kanye West, The NBA, Taylor Swift, The Beatles And AOC Right Now, Data Shows. https://www.forbes.com/sites/javierhasse/2019/11/01/cbd-popularity/#77fd47bc54e7