Because more research is needed, many of the benefits of CBD products either can’t be confirmed or aren’t known yet. Without definitive proof, making specific health claims about any product is never a good idea.
But here’s what we can tell you: CBD oil is used by many people because they feel it contributes to their general wellness, health and vitality. And that’s really what it’s all about, isn’t it?
Ralph Waldo Emerson summed it up nicely when he said, “the first wealth is health.” That said, the cannabinoid CBD is not a cure-all; it won’t perform miracles. But all signs indicate it has great potential for improving overall health.
Hemp vs. Marijuana-Based CBD Oil
Before you buy a CBD product, it’s important to understand the differences between hemp-based CBD and marijuana-based CBD.
Legally, hemp products must contain less than 0.3 percent THC, so you can be assured that hemp-based CBD oil will not get you high. The low THC level in hemp-based CBD is also the reason it’s more acceptable in the eyes of the law. If you get caught transporting CBD extracted from marijuana plants from a state where it is legal to a state where it is not, you could be charged with drug trafficking.
Marijuana-based CBD oil is mostly sold in medical or recreational dispensaries. (Some medical professionals claim that for certain medical issues, marijuana-based CBD oil is more effective, which is why you should also consult with your doctor or a cannabis-aware health practitioner before trying CBD.)
Hemp-based CBD oil is legal and can be purchased online and shipped to all 50 states (from within the United States).
In addition to general wellness, health and vitality, people buy CBD oil extracted from hemp plants because it provides them with the following benefits:
- CBD provides sleep support. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), insufficient sleep is a public health epidemic. In the United States, 70% of adults report that at least once a month they get insufficient sleep, while 11% of Americans report insufficient sleep every night. If you consistently do not get enough sleep, you put yourself at risk for such maladies as high blood pressure, weight gain and heart disease, and you may have problems concentrating and remembering things. For many people, CBD provides a more restful sleep.
- CBD helps with stiff joints and muscles. Time can take its toll on our muscles, joints and bones. Stiff joints are a fact of life for many. And, young or old, after a workout your joints can feel stiff and uncomfortable. Whether you're looking for a CBD cream for sale or CBD edibles, CBD extracted from the hemp plant is known to provide relief of joint and muscle discomfort.
- CBD contributes to stress management. In April 2019, The New York Times reported that, according to a Gallup poll, Americans are feeling stress, anger and worry at the highest levels in a decade. As many as 55 percent of adults said they experienced stress “a lot of the day.” (Globally the figure was 35 percent.) If you want relief from stress, CBD hemp oil might be the ideal antidote. It’s known to relieve tension, nervousness and stress, and may help you remain calm in difficult situations.
- CBD provides blood pressure support. According to the CDC, 29% of Americans suffer from high blood pressure. Eating a healthy diet, consuming essential nutrients, maintaining a healthy weight, exercising and abstaining from alcohol and cigarettes are ways to keep your blood pressure in a healthy range. Studies have shown that CBD may also lower blood pressure and benefit heart health
Hemp Cultivation Benefits Both You and the Planet
When you take hemp-based CBD, you’re not only supporting your overall health but the overall health of the planet.
CBD is non-addictive, it doesn’t get you high and it has limited side effects.
It’s something that was not lost on American industrialist Henry Ford, who is quoted as saying: “Why use up the forests which were centuries in the making and mines which required ages to lay down, if we can get the equivalent forest and mineral products in the annual growth of the hemp fields.”
Henry Ford even produced a car that included bioplastic made partially from hemp materials.
Growing hemp has many benefits that impact both you and the planet, such as:
- Hemp is a multipurpose, eco-friendly plant. None of the plant goes to waste. Hemp seed is used to make hemp oil (also called hemp seed oil). Hemp is used in shampoos, soaps, beauty products and as a food supplement. In fact, the ingredient is becoming popular as a new source of plant-based protein, including hemp milk. It’s also used as a base for paint and plastic instead of petroleum (among other uses).
- Hemp production is good for climate change. For every tonne (2,204.6 pounds) of hemp produced, 1.63 tonnes of carbon is removed from the air, which is even more carbon than is removed by trees.
- Growing hemp supports sustainable farming. Hemp grows within four months of being planted and allows for regular crop rotation, which maintains and conserves nutrients, controls pests and protects against erosion.
- Hemp doesn’t require pesticides or herbicides to grow. A great way to reduce the number of toxins and pollutants in the air and water is to increase hemp cultivation.
Other benefits of hemp-based CBD oil are that it’s non-addictive, it doesn’t get you high and it has limited side effects.
Thomas Jefferson reportedly once said that “Hemp is one of the greatest, most important substances in our nation.” Fellow former President John Adams also chimed in: “We shall, by and by, want a world of hemp more for our own consumption.”
Thankfully, the “cannabis stereotype” is fading and people are once again recognizing hemp for the extraordinary multi-use plant that it is, and the impact it can have on their overall health and well-being. Whether it’s used to formulate beauty products, produce clothing or even make hemp milk or plant-based protein powder, the pros of hemp are becoming more apparent in our society today.